In this lecture, we examine the rapidly emerging field of asteroid mining. The discussion covers current efforts by NASA as well as the private sector and ways that materials mined may benefit us now and in the future.
Additional Learning Resources
- Planetary Resources is working to bring the natural resources of space within humanity’s economic sphere of influence, propelling us into the 21st century and beyond.
- Deep Space Industries is working to change the economic model of doing business in space by providing the technical resources, capabilities and system integration required to discover, harvest, process and market in-space resources.
- Bonsor, Kevin. “How Asteroid Mining Will Work” 10 November 2000. HowStuffWorks.com. Retrieved 01 December 2014.
- Asteroid Retrieval Feasibility Study [PDF]
- M. Busch (2004). Profitable Asteroid Mining. Journal of British Interplanetary Society, Vol. 57, pp. 301-305 [LINK]